Middle Eastern Fall Root Stew
A little gem to warm you up!
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed or milled
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 medium sized butternut squash peeled and cut into 1”cubes
- 2 large carrots, cut into ¾“ chunks
- 2 medium Yukon gold potato peeled and cut into ¾“ cubes
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into ¾” cubes
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and each cut into 1” cubes
- 1 (150z) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons local honey
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and leek; sauté 5 minutes. Add coriander and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add vegetable stock and the next 8 ingredients (through chickpeas). Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in parsley and honey.
Notes: Root vegetables in this recipe are nearly interchangeable. Don’t have parsnip, just add extra rutabaga etc..
Modified from: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chickpea-winter-vegetable-stew