Back to School Immune Health
– Dr. Katherine Walker
Fall has arrived! Which means cold and flu season is just around the corner.
Some kids are more prone to colds, sore throats, cough, ear infections and flu; making autumn and winter more difficult then it needs to be. At Hood to Coast Healthcare we utilize many effective tools to help prevent illness and support your bodies natural immune system.
We wanted to share some proven natural ways to keep your family healthy as we head into autumn and winter.
- Modify your child’s diet.
- Decrease daily sugar intake. Sugar drastically reduces your bodies natural immune defense. Eliminate fruit juices and sodas. What are your sugar sources?
- Prone to congestion? Consider eliminating your dairy intake. Did you know that countries with the highest dairy intake have the highest rates of osteoporosis.
- Increase dark leafy greens and berries. These foods are rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients that boost immunity.
- Zinc daily. Their are many holes in the nutrients that we believe we are receiving naturally from the foods we eat. Zinc can reduce viral infections, school absences and antibiotic use
- Probiotics daily. Probiotics taken daily has been shown to decrease school absences, fever, cough and antibiotic use.
- Vitamin D3 daily. Vitamin D is important for overall health and as kids attend school for the majority of hours during a day, maintaining an adequate dose from sun becomes even more challenging.
- Lets not forget herbs! Herbs like echinacea, elderberry, andrographis and so many more have natural immune protective qualities. Herbs have been shown to prevent frequencies of upper respiratory infection, shorten duration of illness and boost immunity.
For more information on dosage for different age groups and specific recommended products contact Hood to Coast Healthcare to learn more about preventive medicine as we enter cold and flu season.